Scribes and Scripture
The Amazing Story of How We Got the Bible
- ISBN :9781433577895
- Format :Paperback
- Pricing Attribute :Normal
- Page Count :272
- Dimensions :140 x 216 x 15.24 mm
- Weight :329 gm
- Publication Date :18 Oct 2022
- Publisher :Good News Publishers/Crossway
Answers to Common Questions about the Writing, Copying, Canonizing, and Translating of the Bible
There are many common questions and misconceptions surrounding the formation and history of the Bible: Why is the Bible composed of the current 66 books instead of others? Why are there so many translations? How are we to understand both the human and divine elements of the Bible? In Scribes and Scripture, scholars John D. Meade and Peter J. Gurry answer these questions and give readers tools to interpret the evidence about God’s word.
Beginning with the history of the Bible―from the invention of the alphabet to the most recent English translations―the book focuses on three main areas: the writing and copying of the Bible, the canonization of the Bible, and the translation of the Bible. Using Old and New Testament scholarship, Meade and Gurry help God’s people better appreciate the story of the Bible as a way to better appreciate the stories in the Bible.
- Engaging Visual Content: Contains maps, charts, sidebars, and pictures
- Collaboration of Old Testament and New Testament Scholarship: Written by experts in both Old Testament (Meade) and New Testament (Gurry) textual scholarship
- Answers Common Questions: Specifically regarding textual criticism, the canon, and Bible translations